Topband: Long path propagation SSE/SSW

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Long path propagation SSE/SSW
From: "JC" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 09:20:58 -0500
Hi topband lovers

Comments and an heads-up to watch for openings SSE/SSW on 160, 80, and 40m.

This DX season is starting somehow different from last ones. Two weeks ago a
heard BD7PUZ 569 for 15 minutes after my SR (22:30z) on 160m, signal coming
150 degree SSE. It was the first time I heard China on 160m in the evening.

The DSt index is unprecedented high near +20 for few days. DSt will plunge
again soon when we get hit by the arriving G1 magnetic storm coming. DSt
needs to be above +0 for several days for good possibility of long path,

 <http://lasp.colorado.edu/space_weather/dsttemerin/dsttemerin.html>
http://lasp.colorado.edu/space_weather/dsttemerin/dsttemerin.html

This morning WL7E signal was stronger long path 210 degree, also it was the
first time I heard KL7 from 210 degree. Joe signal was 579, real a strong
signal ( horizontal polarized) , N4II also using a Waller Flag heard the
same from the Boca Ratoon DX Club.. Joe mentioned that he worked several
Europeans last week pointing antenna toward Australia, near 210 degree,
again the same SSW/SSE path.

I can say for sure it is difficult to understand why SSW/SSE direction for
almost everywhere you are in the north part planet. PY2RO is using a Waller
Flag and now he tell us how direction long path is arriving for stations
south of the equator.

December 2011 was the best long path propagation day I remember. It seems
that conditions is coming back. I hope more good long conditions is possible
this DX season. JA7QVI Tac also worked long path this morning but some QSB
and a quick shift towards west. Joe (WL7E) also reported poor condx to Japan
this morning, go figure!

We don't understand it ,but enjoy it for sure, Any comments on SSE/SSW are
welcome , this propagation mode is becoming more common.

73's

JC

N4IS