Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] DXE RX Antenna Systems

To: "Paul F. Merrill" <marinesvcs@gmail.com>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] DXE RX Antenna Systems
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 15:13:35 -0700
I did what you were thinking. I love the 8 ele array. I really works even with a 100 ft diameter circle. I wish I could go bigger but I just don't have the space. Something happened to my array controller so I pulled out one of the old 4 sq boxes and used 4 elements with 70 ft spacing. It worked great in the 160 test. I was using that spacing coincidentally so I already had the phasing lines built for that spacing.

You would just need the 8 element array box and maybe the proper CC8 and you are in business.

I missed not having an E/W choice. Pretty important domestically from Colorado. I dont' think I missed working anyone because of it but it does make a difference.

I was actually thinking about putting up an AY loop array inside the Circle array but have not got around to asking if this would be a bad idea. My gut feeling says is. This would put loop ends 25ft away which I think is too close and would interact.

If you have the room for the largest 4 sq array I don't see any reason you would need the other one for 80. With the active elements I would assume that interaction would be considerably less with nested 4 squares

Diversity is the way to go. A number of people commented how doing diversity eliminated almost all the fading.

I might just toss up a loop to EU and play with it some and maybe a bog.

I wish the DXE ava units were no so expensive or I might try to find a way to install the other 4 squares in a way that would be horse proof in the pastures. I am not sure how much interest in the used market there is for just the 4sq main phasing unit.

W0MU