Re: Topband: RX ant-Frozen ground

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RX ant-Frozen ground
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 17:25:29 -0600
I thought I'd share my own experience with Beverages and *newly-driven-in
ground rods* in frozen soil. Here's a relevant excerpt from
www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html#Beverage_antenna_grounds

"When I [first] put up my ... Beverage, ... I occasionally had to 'help'
the ground conductivity at the reflection transformer end. Although there
were two copper ground rods and three radials, the only thing that made it
work right when receiving signals from the feed end direction was to pour a
hot, very concentrated solution of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) around
the ground rods."

Even in good soil, new ground rods do not make good contact with the earth,
especially just below ground level. Reason being, the top of the hole is
somewhat tapered and 'bell shaped'.

YMMV.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com