Topband: Fwd: Re: Electric Fence Noise at W9RE

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Fwd: Re: Electric Fence Noise at W9RE
From: "K1FZ-Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 15:33:57 -0500

-

Noise usually comes when vegetation starts touching the lowest wires. '
Roundup' weed control can  be a help.

73
Bruce-k1fz

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 14:41:59 -0500, James Wolf  wrote:

      I have a horse farm behind me that has electric fences all over their
smaller pens and larger pastures. When it is installed correctly and the
sender is working correctly they are quiet. Unfortunately, his are not.
In some places he has the hot wire mounted below the lowest fence board to
keep the dogs from moving in certain areas where some of the wire is
touching the ground. The whole place needs completely redone. Luckily,
setting the NB on the radio to its lowest setting keeps the pops away and
the intermod is tolerable except in contests. I can usually just walk the
fence and hear it arcing, or I can tell which section is arcing by putting
my one good ear next to the wire and listening to it ring. I used to put
ferrite beads and capacitors in the older controllers to roll off the sharp
transition of off and on; I don't have to do that any longer. The bottom
line is that if installed correctly and if using any recent controllers, you
won't be bothered.

Jim - KR9U

Funny thing about electric fences...

I lease out 9 acres of my property in KH6 to a farmer who has an electric
fence around that part of the property. As far as I can tell it is totally
silent. I parked my truck next to the fence, tuned to 1710 kHz and other
than background noise, it was totally quiet...no pops etc. No antennas up
yet, but this certainly looks promising. Any thoughts?

Bill K4XS/KH7XS