Re: Topband: Front End Filters

To: k1fz@myfairpoint.net
Subject: Re: Topband: Front End Filters
From: Rudy Bakalov via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 08:46:47 -0500
So what problem are we trying to solve here?

If we are solving for SNR, IMHO, good RX antennas provide the best bang for the
buck.  Today's RX antennas are built on sound engineering principles, have
measurable performance, and offer operating flexibility a crystal front-end
can't.

If we are improving selectivity, I wonder if we are beyond the point of
diminishing returns. There are many modern radios that have performance beyond
what's needed during a contest. Further, during a contest, it is key clicks or
splatter that cause the greatest pain; how can the crystal front-end alleviate
the impact of such garbage?

Wishing everyone a happy holidays season.

73, Rudy N2WQ

Sent using a tiny keyboard.  Please excuse brevity, typos, or inappropriate
autocorrect.