Re: Topband: Made it! 80 Years a Ham

To: "paab@valornet.com" <paab@valornet.com>, 160 <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Made it! 80 Years a Ham
From: bob hervatine <n2ns@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 00:23:48 +0000
Paul,

I've never met you, but after reading your post on the topband reflector, I
wish to both thank you for sharing your post, and especially to congratulate
you on achieving 80 years as a licensed amateur op!

What a wonderful thing. And what an inspiration to new 'kids' (I'll be 70 years
old in April) like me.

I 'almost' got my Novice class license in the 1950's, when I was a Cub/Boy
Scout, but did not want to take the test, and start my '1 year clock' (term of
Novice license then) running until I had BOTH confidence that I could pass the
Novice exam AND had enough money on hand to purchase a basic single crystal
transmitter kit. (Which then was about $40, as I recall.) But when I felt I was
ready to pass the test, I would be short of cash, and vice versa. Then Little
League baseball got in the way, and I let amateur radio slip onto the back
burner until I was 50 years old. That's when I FINALLY got licensed and on the
air. I'll always regret not having made that final push to get my license when
I was 10 years old. My hat's off to you and all the others who DID earn their
licenses as youths, AND stayed active throughout the years.

I don't recall ever having the honor of working you, but it would truly be an
honor to QSO with you. (I'd have never been close to keeping up with you when
you were working 35-40 wpm, but now that you're down to 20-25 wpm, I could hang
in with you. No 'finger dexterity' limitations here... my CW limitations lie
between my ears!)

Thank YOU for sharing YOUR kindness and knowledge.

73, Bob Hervatine N2NS