Re: Topband: K1FZ observations

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K1FZ observations
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 13:08:11 -0600
Hi Bruce,

I think what you experienced on channel 13 was a coincidence.

Tropospheric VHF and UHF band openings have nothing to do with any kind of
enhanced 160m conditions. Tropospheric bending occurs when a cold air mass
happens to be beneath much warmer air aloft. The reflection occurs where
the two layers meet because of the difference in energy levels.

And this bending is seldom very widespread, that is, not more than a ~1000
mile diameter area. (And then we have rare occurrences of multi-layer
tropospheric ducting and even E-skip, but that's another story.)

But hey, this is 160 meters, so who really knows for sure? :-)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com