Re: Topband: LDEs, witches and magicians

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: LDEs, witches and magicians
From: "Walter Miller, AJ6T" <aj6t@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:15:10 -0800
Lee and the group,

Reports of LDEs have always fascinated me. The only echos I have heard were probably round-the-world or auroral distortions on high power 20 meter SSB stations.

I am trying to do an analysis of the reported LDEs on 160 and 80 meters with echo times in the hundreds of milliseconds. Can you provide me with the following information on your experiences:

1. Callsign of transmitting station and TX power, frequency and mode. Also, was QSK in use?

2. Location (latitude and longitude or grid square of transmitting station).

3. UT Date and time of LDE

4. Callsign(s) and location(s) of receiving station(s). Was the echo only heard by relatively nearby stations?

5. TX and RX antennas of all stations (N6TR's recent comment about stronger echos with a low dipole was very interesting)

6. Estimated time delay of the echo

7. Estimated duration of the time the LDE was heard (just once, minutes, hours, etc.)

8. Was there any frequency shift between the transmission and the echo?

9. Any other anecdotal information about the event.

Please reply to me privately in order not to clog up the reflector. I will summarize the reports and make a posting back to the reflector later.

73,

Walt, AJ6T