Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] What's heating up ?

To: topband@contesting.com, n4ii@arrl.net, aa1k@arrl.net, "k1zm@aol.com" <k1zm@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] What's heating up ?
From: "John Harden, D.M.D." <jhdmd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 13:13:26 -0400
For a while I was cooking vacuum variables in my 160 meter Omega match network as well as SO-239's es "N" female connectors...

I couldn't figure out what the problem was?.............................

So I checked the line from the shack to the network... It was a 1/4 quarter wavelength line...

The problem was due to a voltage/current node at the line termination......

This is a well known phenomenon in electromagnetic theory. I added about 20 feet to the line and the problem disappeared!

  * /Standing waves/are waves of voltage and current which do not
    propagate (i.e. they are stationary), but are the result of
    interference between incident and reflected waves along a
    transmission line.
  * A/node/is a point on a standing wave of/minimum/amplitude.
  * An/antinode/is a point on a standing wave of/maximum/amplitude.
  * Standing waves can only exist in a transmission line when the
    terminating impedance does not match the line’s characteristic
    impedance. In a perfectly terminated line, there are no reflected
    waves, and therefore no standing waves at all.
  * At certain frequencies, the nodes and antinodes of standing waves
    will correlate with the ends of a transmission line, resulting
    in/resonance/.
  * The lowest-frequency resonant point on a transmission line is
    where the line is one quarter-wavelength long. Resonant points
    exist at every harmonic (integer-multiple) frequency of the
    fundamental (quarter-wavelength).

Since I fixed the problem the network tunes more smoothly. The 1000 pfd vacuum variable to ground is tuned with a reversible 12 VDC, 1 RPM motor. The other 1000 pfd vacuum variable is in series with the OMEGA arm and is only adjustable locally....

73,

John, W4NU
K4JAG, 1959 to 1998