Topband: Unterminated WOG/BOG

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Unterminated WOG/BOG
From: Sean Waite <waisean@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 14:33:52 +0000
I've discovered that the woods off the corner of my property give me a good
straight run where I could run a 150' or so beverage pointed directly at EU.

The difficulty is...it's not my property there, but a wooded area connected
to a neighboring apple farm. It isn't being used, but it's still a little
shady to run an antenna there.

I was thinking of getting something like this
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/svp-sv-bog  and running a wire into the
woods.

The difficulty is that these seem to want to be terminated at the far end,
but I've seen people talking about using them unterminated. Given this
isn't my land, I'd rather not drive a ground rod on the far end - we also
have pretty rock soil and getting the rods into the ground is a bear.

-Can I only have a ground rod at the near (feed) end and just leave the far
end unterminated?
-If I ran a longer wire, but zig zagged it how would that affect the
receive ability?

I figure a black length of wire laying on the ground will go basically
un-noticed and be out of the way. Any thoughts?

Sean Waite, WA1TE