Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing?

To: <JAYB1943@OPTONLINE.NET>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing?
From: Peter Sundberg <sm2cew@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 17:50:25 +0000
Jay, please don't compare the new digi protocols with RTTY, a character based protocol.

What you see on the screen or paper in RTTY has actually been sent, and is received as it was sent. Or it is garbled because the link is not good enough.

With some of the new popular digi protocols most of what is written on the screen, some call it "received", has never been received as a complete message. It is reproduced from other sources than the radio path.

As a well known 6m op said after summing up his Zero to DXCC journey this last summer - "without entering already known information (calls) to the software I wouldn't have been even close to where I am now.."

BIG difference - no wonder the users of new digi protocols apply for a DXCC award after a week. Try that with RTTY.

73
Peter SM2CEW