Re: Topband: Common mode current and QRN on 160m

To: John Randall <m0els@yahoo.co.uk>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Common mode current and QRN on 160m
From: Arthur Delibert <radio75a3@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 16:17:16 +0000
Yes, a pennant antenna with a pre-amp could be a tremendous help.  I live in a
densely populated suburb where everyone (including us) has all the latest
digital noisemakers.  Without that set-up, the lower bands would be completely
useless to me.  Also, add common mode chokes to  both ends of the lead from
your receiving antenna.  Otherwise, it can pick up a lot of noise on the way
into the shack, some of which finds its way into the received signal.
Fair-Rite makes a large snap-on choke that’s ideal for the purpose (Fair-Rite
0431177081).  Wrap 7 turns of your coax through it, and spread the turns out
over the full circumference of the choke so they’re as far from one another as
possible.  (See “A Ham's Guide to RFI, Ferrites, Baluns, and Audio Interfacing”
by Jim Brown, K9YC, which is available on the internet.)

Hope this helps.

Art Delibert, KB3FJO