Re: Topband: VE1ZZ Jack Leahy

To: "k1zm@aol.com" <k1zm@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: VE1ZZ Jack Leahy
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 11:40:17 -0500
> Hi All
>

> A few friends have asked about VE1ZZ since he has not been on Topband
> much lately.
>

> I gave him a call yesterday on the phone and he said he is nearing his
> 82nd birthday but has been slowed down by age and other things.

Jeff,

Thanks for the note. I got to thinking and
just checked my log. VE1ZZ was my first DX
on 160 and my 2nd 160 QSO; this on July 8,
1992. Though I'd been a ham 13 years, I'd
never been on 160 till that time. I
remember I was living in a 2nd floor
apartment with a random wire tacked to the
hallway ceiling, using buttons for
insulators, had a Drake TR7 & Murch 2000B
Transmatch. Landlord had said no to any
antennas so this is what I had to use &
there Jack was, QRV on Topband in July.

73,