Re: Topband: Relay info needed,

To: "'MR TREVOR DUNNE'" <ei2glb@eircom.net>, "'topband List'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Relay info needed,
From: "JC" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 19:42:15 -0500
Hi   Trevor

Any open frame relay like that can destroy your reception.  I feel sorry to
see people selling and even recommending this type of relay, it is a shame.

The issue is speed and not current.

You can try this one for EU25 on ebay (4 mSec)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RF-vacuum-relay-Vakuumrelais-VR421-Siemens-270-Ohm
26-5-V-/281975931582

The destining relay is critical and can cause big problems if not
implemented right.

1- decouple and shield the relay line, sent 26V and switch to ground during
TX.

2- Never send voltage during RX, any relay has capacitance and can feed
noise into the TX antenna  if not protected from common mode noise , Doug
NX4D spent U$ 200 ++ on a 12V vacuum relay and the relay was energized
during RX, the time to RX is very long and the relay gets hot and can and
will generate noise. Doug lost VK0 and E31 due a s2 noise originate on his
detuning relay.

3- Fast is always better   the proved and reliable Jennings RJ1A-26S relay
that you can buy everywhere for U$50, is only 2 ms.

4- Sequencer is always recommended, and a delay on the RF generated  is a
must.

5- Choke, and choke , burry the cable, common mode noise is a huge problems
for 160 and 80m,

I hope you can fix that,

73
JC