Topband: 160m magnetic loop for receive

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 160m magnetic loop for receive
From: John Randall via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 18:13:44 +0000 (UTC)
I have completed my magnetic loop and it consists of a 1t primary and a 3t
secondary inside a large hula loop 42" dia and wound with the same sense. The
primary has a capacitor in series with the winding, which then connects to a
binocular transformer ( common noise choke and isolation ), the other side of
which connects to the coax feed point. The secondary has a 250/250pf airspaced
variable cap across it but with another cap in series with the winding to
resonate it on topband. On the desk, it works very well on rx, considering the
indoor noise enviroment and the next step is to get it up on a pole at the
bottom of the garden.
The nights are lonely on topband in the UK, with some same old same stations
heard. Where is the DX heard, ANYWHERE EXCEPTING IN THE UK IT SEEMS. Sofar 4
stations worked on 1850 QRO.

73John -M0ELS