Re: Topband: Beverage construction

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage construction
From: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 22:54:17 +0000
Thu Nov 23 13:42:27 EST 2017 Dave k4em at bellsouth.net wrote:
>  did you slope the last 50' on each end?

Sloping the ends of a beverage serves no useful purpose.  That's an old wives'
tale (or maybe I should say old Hammy Hambone's tale) started by W1WCR, I
believe.  Whether the wire is horizontal all the way to eacd end  with a
vertical lead straight down to the ground point, or 50' of sloping the wire at
each end, you have exactly the same vertical and horizontal component of wire.
Precisely why a Pennant antenna and a Flag antenna of the same total height and
length perform approximately the same.  The only advantage to the sloping wire
is that the sloping antenna itself acts as a guy wire for the end poles,
eliminating the need to terminate each end of the antenna with a separate guy
wire.  But the long gradual slope makes the antenna wire more hazardous to
surface traffic than a short guy wire at each pole.

Don k4kyv