Re: Topband: FT8 on 160m

To: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 on 160m
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 16:14:46 -0800
My WSTJ waterfall shows about 50Hz bandwidth for ft8 signals. In "band plan" theory the ft8 segment is 1840 to 1842.5. However, many rigs won't pass audio much below 300Hz and may not above 2.5KHz. I run "wide open" DSP on my Pro3 so see to 3Khz. Above 2.6Khz there are few ft8 signals to 1843KHz but some other very slow even weaker signal modes per the band plan. An ft8 signal only needs that 50Hz but the decoder shows all transmissions better than the limiting S/N within the 0 to 3Khz range.

In CQWW I heard several CW ops at the low end of the ft8 plan segment, in 0 to 600 Hz. I could decode ft8 fine thru them which surprised me a bit, the cw speeds ranged from teens to 30+ wpm. Of course "reserved" is not true, but there is a band plan and it seemed to be generally observed by the contest ops.

While my dial shows 1840KHz, with AFSK USB the "carrier" really isn't there.

At least that is how I think it works !!

Grant KZ1W