Re: Topband: Supporting Ladder line

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Supporting Ladder line
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 17:10:07 -0500 (EST)
Hi Rys,

The terminationresistance of a BOG (including the loss in the
ground rod and/or radials) is typically about 250 ohms. The value is
non-critical, especially in the case of a BOG where most of the f/b
ratio derives from the lossy ground in very close proximity to the
antenna and not from the termination resistor.

A 4:1 transformer works well for 75 ohm coax
A 6:1 transformer may a better choice for 50 ohm coax,
depending on the optimum termination resistance.

In either case, the termination resistor attached to the unused coax
(approximately 50 or 75 ohms) can be optimized to improve the
front-to-back ratio.

73
Frank
W3LPL