Topband: WebSDR use and other comments.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: WebSDR use and other comments.
From: DXer <hfdxmonitor@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 20:54:35 -0500
Like most of you, my interest in radio started with a tube radio/turntable combo, listening to shortwave broadcasting stations back in the late 60s. Unlike some of you, my SWLing interest remained after getting a ham license in 1980.

WebSDR has been an issue in SWLing circles for many years. While not as common as in the past, SWLers still pursue QSL confirmations from the stations they hear. Some of these receptions are being made through WebSDRs. Unfortunately, not all of them disclose this 'minor detail' when submitting reception reports to the stations.

To give you an idea of the difference of opinions regarding the use of WebSDRs in SWLing, one SWLer adds an interesting tagline to all his logs. It's something like this: "Heard with my own ears, on my own receiver, in real time."

The reason for the tagline, is that a number of SWLers, not only use web receivers, but are not even at the dials during the reception. They'll record entire bands (SW-MW-FM), and go through the MP3 files later, some sending reception reports to the stations, after the MP3s have been 'processed'.

As cogently stated already, it's all a hobby, and each individual will decide what is valid or not as his/her own achievements. It only becomes a 'problem' when those 'achievements' are compared against others'.

As for amateur radio remotes, a lot has been said already. There seems to be an understanding of the proper use of remotes, things such as proper identification and the like.

One poster mentioned something that I don't recall seeing here before, but crossed my mind many times, as being an 'injustice'. That is, the use of a remote station within a country, regardless of the distance, as being valid for DXCC and/or contests.

Nothing wrong in principle, until you realize that a ham in Canada, the US, and other big countries, benefit a lot more from this allowance, than a ham in Andorra, El Salvador, or Hong Kong, for example.

It's no uncommon to see west coast hams claiming to be at a disadvantage compared to east coast hams. They may have a point, but it's difficult to equalize this perceived injustice. In the case of remote stations, I think the 'within national borders' criteria is flawed. A much better criteria would be distance based. It would not allow for border crossings, even if still within the allowed distance, of course.

Not trying to ressurect an old/bad discussion, but FT8 is in the 'news'again. Full automation has been achieved through the use of macros. Only one more development to sow disagreement in the ham fraternity.

The hobby is changing. There are more ways to enjoy it. We may not like all of them, but we must find a way to coexist.

73 de Vince, VA3VF