Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 181, Issue 20

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 181, Issue 20
From: "Pete Rimmel N8PR" <n8pr@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 23:50:52 -0500
John (and others)

I would not like to see the below suggestion carried out for the following reason:

There have been times that I have used a WebSDR receiver in Europe to help me decide where to transmit from here in Florida. An example was the 3C0/3C1 operations.

I am pretty sure that the pileups from Europe were louder in those locations than my signal from Florida. HOWEVER, I used the WebSDR to find holes in the EU pileups and successfully worked both stations on TB.

I could not hear most of those whom I saw on the SDR here in Florida, and my Waller Flag was not pointed at EU to look for them.

At the same time, I was hearing the 3C stations here on my receiver in Florida, and NOT on the webSDR receivers in Europe.

Should I be penalized for using a TOOL to figure out where to transmit? I think not. This is not "Cheating" as some would suggest.

If you saw a report of me listening on a webSDR, you would falsely conclude I was hearing a 3C by using that means.

This tool is the same as using Reverse beacon networks or telnet reporting to find the DX.

I agree that making QSOs where the receiver is not located where the transmitter is located is against the rules of DXing and fair play, but don't penalize those who would use a tool that is available for getting into the DX station's log.

73,  PeteR  N8PR

Message: 1