Topband: How to determine impedance

To: topBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: How to determine impedance
From: Martin <dm4im@t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 12:27:42 +0100
Topbanders,
for the construction of the beverage ( a 2 wire reversible beverage, that is) from my post a few days ago i wanted to know how to measure or determine the impedance of the open wire. I stumbled across a very simple method some of of you might know , some might not. Anyway, here is the method. It works for coaxial cable or open wire. You need no fancy measurement gear- rule, pocket calculator and LC meter will do. For really long runs you might need the help of a tape rule or even google maps.

Measure the length of the unknown coaxial cable or open wire (DUT Device under test) in meters m.

With both ends open, measure capacitance C of DUT, divide it by it's length ( C' = C/m) .

Shorten one end, measure inductance of DUT, divide it by length ( L' = L/m) .

Now calculate

Z= 1000 * squareroot(L'/C')

Voila.

It may also help to determine if and where your cable or 2 wire beverage has an intermittance when you already know it's impedance it had before the failure. Transform the formula accordingly. I think it should also help to determine the impedance of the beverage ( single wire or 2 wire) measured against ground(?).

--

Ohne CW ist es nur CB..

73, Martin DM4iM