Topband: Mixed elevated and ground located radials?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Mixed elevated and ground located radials?
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 15:08:36 -0500
Now that I have both a HI-Z circle 8 & a
triangular array, along with the K3s, I
can hear most stations coming in around
here. About the only thing that will help
me Rx wise at this time would be a better
QTH more suited for Ham Radio than this
RFI laden environment.

This last 160 contest made me realize my
best option till I move is to try and get
a lower angle on the Tx. I have maybe 45
130' radials attached to the radial base
and am using WD-1A wire for my antennas.

The antennas are being fed by lengths of
coax from the remote switch to each
specific antenna. At the end of each coax
I have about 12" of braid & center
conductor separated with the braid to the
plate and the center to the antenna.
Crude, but it works and seems to be the
best I can do here.

It's a challenge to get any more radials
down at this time and because of the marsh
behind me and the radial plate at the edge
of the marsh, I can only put any new
radials in a semi-circle. but I've been
wondering if I could add elevated radials
to what I have? the feed point is now only
a foot above ground so any elevated radial
would be above the feed point. What might
I expect if I were to add say 3-4 elevated
radials about 8' or so high? I'd have to
run them that high to keep the deer from
taking them down. If I made them brush
high, they'd get snagged right away.

Would it be worth my effort? My mobility
is reduced as of late.

73,

Gary
KA1J