Re: Topband: Fwd: [TowerTalk] Loss in CCS conductors at low freqs (was V

To: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fwd: [TowerTalk] Loss in CCS conductors at low freqs (was Voltage Breakdown For Enameled Wire)
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 21:02:33 -0500
Hi Terry,

What is there about 80 meters that means it doesn't need a carefully done
radial field? If anything, the low bands need "careful" worse...

Your elevated radials will be hard coupled, like transformer windings, to
the buried radials. If a radial and its connections are high R, you will be
coupling that R with the raised radials.

The dip in your SWR telegraphs that the lengths of the HyTower are probably
OK. The R=83 tells us that you have 50 ohms, give or take, of junk
resistance somewhere. Everything all chipper, and you should be seeing
thirty-ish. That could conceivably be a really bad joint connection in the
HyTower, but unlikely as all three joints at the point would have to be
bad. Also the resistance at a point trouble has more effect closer to the
feedpoint.

It also implies you are losing 4.3 dB, something like 2/3 of your power
wasted in ground/radial/connection loss. 940 watts of your 1.5 kW converted
to heat by your antenna system.

With that many radials, a single, or even ten radial problem will not move
the R much. But if ALL the radials are a problem, or the connection point
is bad that could happen.

The first problem you have is that electric fence wire does not worry about
skin effect, or about low resistance for current. It's a high voltage
application. The designed for "signal" is high voltage DC, and low R just
simply does not matter for the intended use.

The second problem is that electric fence wire is NOT designed to be left
laying on the ground or buried. Aluminum can be dissolved by many common
"dirt" compositions when wet. The wire is supposed to be in the open,
supported by insulators, and can dry off after every rainstorm.

On the other hand, for 80 meters, which DOES have skin effect, and in a 1/4
wave vertical which REQUIRES essentially zero R conductors, any kind of
corrosion or typical higher wire resistance, or aluminum connections going
bad, and a long list of problems using fence wire at RF, all can raise your
R. If I had to bet 100 bux on either the HyTower or something related to
the radial wire, it's immediately on something related to the wire. You
probably would have cleaned up corrosion on the joints as you erected the
HyTower.

The absolutely most important part of your HyTower, with nothing in second
place, is the state of the radials underneath and the connections to them.
If any antenna on low bands needs a counterpoise, solve the counterpoise at
maximum efficiency, and insure permanence of that efficiency, before
anything else.

You may hear from here and there that junk wire for radials worked "OK".
Use junk *copper* wire if you want, and solder and corrosion proof all the
connections. What you are looking for is ZERO effective series resistance
at RF from your radial field at the lowest frequency in use, and
construction practices and treatment that insure that it STAYS zero.

In my first house up in New York state, it had aluminum power wiring to the
outlets. The stuff had to be tightened down every couple of years and was a
never-ending source of electrical problems. That was at 60 Hz and no skin
effect. So there's a part of me permanently against aluminum wire unless
you're talking about aluminum tubing, properly treated and fastened at all
the joints.

Good luck, and let us know what you actually find. Theorizing and
speculating on the reflector is one thing, and finding an actual problem
and fixing it is another.  :>))

73, Guy K2AV