Re: Topband: No 160m Sunrise Peak

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>, Larry <pacer99@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: No 160m Sunrise Peak
From: GEORGE WALLNER <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 20:52:59 -0500
I was out in the Bahamas for the CQWW160 contest from C6AGU. Both before and after the contest I got up to work JA-s at sunrise. There was definite peak in signals. The peaks started just at sunrise (06:47 local time) and lasted about 15 minutes. By 07:15 there was nothing on the band. It was similar during the contest. On Monday morning I was testing a new 80 meter antenna. The peak was very prominent on this band. I was working JA-s from about 06:15 and they were extremely weak (I had a good RX antenna and plenty of pre-amp gain). Starting just after sunrise, around 07:00 signals came up to S9 withing minutes. I worked about 30 stations and most of them were loud. The peak ended very quickly: I was barely able to complete the last QSO. By 07:20 there was absolutely nothing.
73,
George,
AA7JV/C6AGU

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 15:31:14 -0500