Re: Topband: Looking for experience with DHDL

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Looking for experience with DHDL
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 06:47:57 -0500
Hi Rick,

You might take a look at a document you can download on a simple website of
mine that describes what I called a Terminated Bowtie receive antenna.  I
created this document while investigating the DHDL design.  After I created
my document, Rudy Severns (N6LF) published a document commenting on my info
(below are links to my Terminated Bowtie website, and to the N6LF document).

Terminated Bowtie website URL:
http://sites.google.com/site/terminatedbowtiereceiveantenna/
Rudy Severns (N6LF) comment document:
http://rudys.typepad.com/files/wd8dsb-comments.pdf

I definitely thought their were characteristics of the DHDL that could be
improved upon and that's what led me to the Terminated Bowtie design, but I
don't have enough property to build a full size Terminated Bowtie per my
design, so I have never been able to compare its actual performance with
its predicted performance (but if you have room, you would be the perfect
test subject).  The only disadvantage I see with the Terminated Bowtie
design (if it works) is the feedpoint location compared with the feedpoint
location on the DHDL.  Based on the gain of the full size Terminated
Bowtie, I would recommend a 20 dB preamp with it.

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)