Re: Topband: Adding a parasitic reflector to a vertical

To: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Adding a parasitic reflector to a vertical
From: "Joel Harrison" <w5zn@w5zn.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 06:34:18 -0600
I believe you could get by with less radials with a phased array. In that
case all of the elements are "driven" so the current distribution in each
element will be forced.

With a parasitic element proper current distribution and thus gain is
impacted by ground resistance so a good, effective radial system is really
mandatory to achieve maximum efficiency.

Modeling data supports this. ON4UN has a chart in Low Band DX'ing that
depicts gain -vs- ground resistance for parasitic elements.

As a comparison, my 80 meter 4 square has a little less than half the
radials I have on the 160 meter parasitic array and is a stellar
performer.

I have no experience and have not modeled a phased array other than a 4
square so I base the above on nothing more than my study and experience
with the arrays in question.

73 Joel W5ZN