Re: Topband: 1/2 wave inv L

To: Roger Kennedy <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>, Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 1/2 wave inv L
From: Charles Moizeau <w2sh@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 23:42:35 +0000
Years ago I tried a a weather balloon filled with hydrogen from a hired
canister.  The balloon's spherical shape made it highly susceptible to being
disturbed by even a fairly mild breeze.  In my case the vertical wire was
tilted well away from being vertical.  Fairly soon the balloon met the branch
of what was a pretty distant tree.  Pop!  Down came the wire and the ARRL
Topband contest which had just begun was finished (quite respectably, I should
add) with a center-fed dipole.

Now, years later, with a bit of experience in kite flying, a not-so-distant
public park with lots of open space and being a dedicated QRPer, I'm tempted to
try something larger than my 26m vertical + 21m horizontal wire over a 2.5 km
field of in-ground radials.  My thoughts are centered on a kite-supported 7/8
wavelength vertical, the 4/8 wavelength bottom section base fed through an LC
tank circuit, decoupled from the top 3/8 wavelength section by just a capacitor.

72 (QRP-speak for 73),

Charles, W2SH