Re: Topband: Conditions on 160m for ARRL Contest

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Conditions on 160m for ARRL Contest
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 05:58:57 -0700
A casual S&P effort here.  Worked only one EU (LZ2WO) on Saturday night local
time.

On 2/19/2018 2:21 AM, Roger Kennedy wrote:
Well on Friday night I couldn't hear one single American station . . . even
though I heard a couple of Southern Europe stations working a few.

Saturday night conditions were better, but signals were well down on what
they have been for the past few weeks.

However, in the 3 hours I spent on the band (at different times in the
night) I did manage to work 61 American stations . . . including a few in
Brazil and the Caribbean.

For future reference, here in Britain there are about 6 Navigation Beacons
between 1810 and 1818 kHz (they sound like the old Decca HiFix) . . . these
make copying weak signals VERY difficult, so a good idea to avoid this part
of the band !

Roger G3YRO