Re: Topband: Conditions on 160m for ARRL Contest

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Conditions on 160m for ARRL Contest
From: Merv Schweigert via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 19:17:09 -1000
Correct Lee,  if some have not heard them they need to check the receive antennas and
plan for work in the spring.
They were especially loud out here in KH6 back in 2008 etc when conditions over the pole were excellent,  they boomed in before and at sunrise peaks. Occasionally via LP at sunset
coming in over central/south America.
73 Merv K9FD/KH6

    Mike and others,
    Those signals are NOT fishnet beacons. They are as one here said a version of a
navigation system similar to Hyperfix. The reason you hear three "dings"
Is that there are three transmitters for each one that transmit in sequence and
the electronics aboard ship measures the time of arrival for each pulse
providing harbor navigation.
   How do I know this, I have heard them from the NW  here in OR many times and
looked them up years ago. There have been at least two discussions about this
here on top-band reflector over the years. And as mentioned they NEVER ID. They
are also low power.
Mike I would suggest you Google Hyperfix.
    Lee   K7TJR  OR