Re: Topband: Speaking of Noises...

To: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Speaking of Noises...
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 16:33:42 -0500
Tim N3QE was on the money regarding the Wallops Island (VA) Dynasonde,
although the 160 version sounds lower in pitch and is longer in duration.
That's probably because at lower frequencies the pulses need to be
proportionally longer to get the required resolution.  It's definitely
wideband as seen on a spectrum display.  It's also easily strong enough to
cover DX signals (I'd estimate S7 here).  I had several instances this
weekend of needing call or exchange repeats due to its untimely appearance
(e.g. W4ZV TU 599 *****)

Here's the graphical output of the sounder:

http://surf.colorado.edu/WI937.dcc

Your tax dollars at work generating QRM on Topband!

73,  Bill  W4ZV