Topband: Using old 1/2 inch Comscope hardline for my 4-square

To: topband@contesting.com, terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Subject: Topband: Using old 1/2 inch Comscope hardline for my 4-square
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 22:07:47 -0700 (PDT)
Hi guys and gals,

W9XT came up with a way to connect a PL-259 to a 1/2" hardline. Since I find
the Comscope 1/2" hardline I got a whole 4' spool of is not even listed by
comscope or any of the manufacturers of hardline I have to try and make a
connector. Using his method the toughest part is to 'shrink' the copper clad
aluminum or steel center lead. I don't think I can do it. So I'm thinking about
using his method modified with 14 gauge wire thru the center conductor of the
PL-259 and wrap it around the center conductor on the hardline. Then solder
that in. Then use the brass tubing the way W9XT does and solder to the outside
of the PL-259 and clamp on the aluminum outside of the hardline shield. THEN
try using something like 'liquid Nail' squirted into the inside thru a small
hole drilled in the brass tubing to act as insulation and give it some
strength. Strength is the biggest problem for using the hardline I think and
maybe running up my tower. I don't think it will be strong enough withou
 t something like the liquid nail and I plan to use a couple of long sections
of heat shrink to help. Being in Oregon keeping water out of the connections
can be a challenge. But drilling out that center conductor I don't think will
work for me.

Liquid nail should harden up and I doubt it will have a problem with shorting
out the hardline or PL-259. Time may tell another story of course. Various 2
part glues like Loctite or Gorilla glue I don't see a good way of putting them
thru the drilled hold in the brass tubing. Anyone know of something else that
would come in a squeez type applicator that might do the job and be available
locally? Water ingress and making the hardline connection strong I see as the
biggest problems. Otherwise I think just using a small plastic or metal box and
solder and clamp on wires forming some type of connection to a PL-259 or SO-239
are about the only other alternative I can think of. Of course using 75 ohm
coax and having a 'bump' in the impedance will be an interesting challenge to
see how that works with my Steppir or other antennas designed for 50 ohms.

The hard line does ohm out good so that seemed a good sign. Isn't it fun using
cast off coax from cable TV companies?

Terry

KI7M