Re: Topband: Any experience with 2N3553?

To: "N2TK, Tony" <tony.kaz@verizon.net>, "martin@ok1rr.com" <martin@ok1rr.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Any experience with 2N3553?
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 00:39:59 +0000
Thanks Tony,
   Agreed the 2N5109 will be around for a long time however as you point out
they are or will be very expensive. At present I use 100's of 2N3866
transistors which are very close to the same die if not selected from the
2N5109 process. My cost in 100 quantity has gone from about $1.60 each to
currently $4.00 each in about 2 years' time for 2N3866's. The 5109 is currently
priced less at $2.22  where the 3866 used to be less. From all this I conclude
that the 2N5109 will follow the huge price increases. I could be wrong but I
will not plan on using the 5109 especially where most things are going to
surface mount also. Even J-310 FETs have gone from <$.20 to $2.41 at 100 level.
Worst thing is 20% of the off brand j-310s don’t meet spec. The only way to
solve this is to go to surface mount where you can still get the good J-310 and
other great devices. One can often use more than one SMD device in an amplifier
having it cost less than one expensive leaded  device. For the hams building a
single amplifier the 5109 makes a lot of sense right now. Semiconductor times
are changing rapidly. I make lots of top-band antenna systems using lots of
already expensive electronics. For this reason I have to do as well as I can to
predict the future for my products. My observation is that leaded parts are
disappearing rapidly and this will continue.

Lee    K7TJR
Hi-Z Antennas