Re: Topband: KH1/KH7Z TopBand Ops Brief

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: KH1/KH7Z TopBand Ops Brief
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 14:57:48 -0400
Hi Jim,

I consider myself a hard core CW op, I
think I've taken part in maybe 4-5 SSB
contests total in the last 39 years, maybe
10-15 or so RTTY contests. However, I've
been in easily several hundred CW
contests, some of which I've taken 1st
place in my class. I need 1 more ATNO for
Honor roll and of those ATNOs' I have,
only two were SSB, & no CW was available
to work them.

With that, I have found FT8 interesting as
a communication mode. Not exciting as when
I pull CW out of the noise and make a Q,
but it is a ham contact never-the-less.

I do enjoy discovering signals are
available below the noise level, when I
can't hear them but the K3s & WSJT-x do.
Those calls wouldn't be there on the
screen if they didn't exist. If the band
is dead for one mode but alive for
another, I'll go for what's alive.

I just ordered a 7 element M2 antenna for
a dedicated 6M station with K3 & external
pre to run CW and FT8, I'm looking forward
to my first 6M CW contest.

Yeah, I consider myself a hard core CW guy
but I see a place for FT8 as well.

73,

Gary
KA1J