Topband: : Cores on Beverage antennas.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: : Cores on Beverage antennas.
From: Mikek <amdx@knology.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 13:06:53 -0500
On 8/4/2018 5:53 PM, Mikek wrote:
A good reference for Beverage antenna length is by W3LPL,  Search  online for his patterns, F/B    info.

If a shorter Beverage wire length is used because of space restrictions,    a near  perfect   feed and  restive termination can appear as a low VSWR,  over a reasonable  frequency range. However  here in Maine,  the  ground is typically not close to level in elevation , and  with   variations in soil conductivity,  resonant lengths  are beneficial..

One of the ways to make a wire look  electrically longer is the use of covered wire. (Velocity factor that can vary with type of covering used). Also  some have  placed small lumped inducatances  along the way,,  Another used a slinky..

Basic understanding about  cores  that most,  excepting mix 33, are inductive,  So have a question for anyone who has tried it.

Will adding many mix, 43, and 77   spaced  cores with a few turns each  along the Beverage wire , lower the basic frequency enough to  be beneficial?

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

 I recently added 9 binocular cores (Fairrite # 2873000202) to my 253ft BOG.
 Before the Cores my velocity factor was .78
After installing the cores the VF was .67
 So, I'm thinking it made my antenna seem to be 16% longer, or went from and apparent 324ft to 377ft.
 I was shooting for .55 and will add more cores when I get them.
 Even the the cores are binocular, I only made a single pass through one hole of the core.
That equals about 8.9uh.
You probably have this URL, it is the only info I can find.
https://www.w8ji.com/slinky_and_loaded_beverages.htm

          Mike Knowlton