Topband: Saved by my BOG

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Saved by my BOG
From: N7DF via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 16:26:13 +0000 (UTC)
This morningaround 1300Z i saw on dxscape  that tx5twas on 3655 ssb    since 80
meters ssb was one of the two band modes I stillneed them on I thought to give
it a try    on my cage all I heard was a constantunbroken static crash so I
started switching around to different antennas tosee if I could hear them on
anything      I found that my west facing experimentalBOG was the only thing
that I could hear them on    this antenna has never worked very well
foranything before so it was quite a surprise especially since in its
presentconfiguration it violates  just about everythingI have read about BOGs
it is about 300feet long made of twisted pair military communications wire
lying on the groundand running downhill at right angles to an overhead 7500
volt 3 phase powerlineand beside a barbed wire fence and a one inch diameter
steel cable lying on theground marking the property line    it isunterminated
and the receiving end is connected to a ten turn winding on aferrite core of
unknown properties    the other end of the winding is connected tothe wire I
dropped down into the abandoned well hole I commented about in anearlier post
the secondary winding ofthe toroid is a hundred turns of wire connected through
a length of rg6 coax toa polimar preamp  this configuration wasarrived at after
various hookups with matching transformers and single wiretuners that gave the
best signal to noise ratios over powerline noise on westcoast stations  but it
never has workedfor anything else    another surprisingthing about the BOG is
that it picks up a warbling signal around 7 mhz that I donot hear on any other
antenna    30 milesto my west is the white sands missile range and there are
frequently strange rf signalson hf  vhf  and uhf coming up from there
including one time a multigigawatt EMP thatwiped out the programming on my
ft1000mp but that is another story   anyway I got my qso with tx5t73 larry n7df