Re: Topband: Air Wound Coil

To: W7RH <midnight18@cox.net>, Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Air Wound Coil
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2018 15:42:32 -0700
Me too.

Or the inverse as I did, cut my T for the low end of the band. Then three series capacitors with PCB relays to short each individually (none, 1, 2, or 3) yielded nearly full band coverage <1.5:1 swr.  My T is 85' to top and a 50:25 ohm TLT is a close match, then the capacitor stack follows.  Caps and relays fit in a weather tight plastic box about 3x5x8".  Of course the resonance resistance and capacitor values depend on the antenna geometry. EZNEC easily models this antenna.  For me all three caps were 4000pf.  Relay settings of short, 4000pf, 2000pf, and 1333pf moved resonance in about equal 40KHz upward steps.  Instant QSY and cost about $100.

With 12.5 ohm resistance, QRO current will require 3 or 4 silver micas in parallel for each C.  Check the current ratings for the CDE CD/CDV16 series micas.  Voltage is easily managed with 1000v rated caps since when in series they become a voltage divider.

Grant KZ1W