Re: Topband: Air wound coil

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Air wound coil
From: Richard Beerman <rbeersr@att.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 11:36:03 -0500
Top Banders,   This discussion has been tremendously helpful to me as I also am
going to put a DX Engineering 68’ vertical when the QRN subsides here in South
Texas. Initially, I planned to install a large inductor (looks like it came
from a BC transmitter) that I found at a local hamfest. My calculation is that
this inductor has around 43 micro henries. According to various contributors,
this is not a good solution. I actually did the same back around 1972 with a
Hytower on 160 meters! It did work with a pathetic ground system and 40-50
watts from a Ranger II.

Anyway, here is my question…. my vertical has 3/8” tubing at the top. Pretty
flimsy to connect top loading wires except maybe small gauge wire. I am not
sure how well small gauge wire will handle voltages that may appear at the top
of a 68’ vertical. So, as an alternative, much like the Hytower does today,
what would happen if I installed top loading wires of a larger gauge lower on
the antenna where the tubing is more substantial?  Any suggestions regarding
where the top loading could be connected on the vertical and approximate length
of the top loading wires?

Thanks,   Dick  W5AK