Re: Topband: Inv L in Tree

To: Edward <navydude1962@yahoo.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inv L in Tree
From: Mike Furrey <mikefurrey@att.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 15:45:41 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Ed,
Yes, many times. When in Houston, TX on a 60' x90' lot I had one that was in
between two 70'+ pine trees (about 5' from each tree at the feed point). I had
one elevated radial up 15' that was shaped like an L to fit on the property.
150+ countries with 600 watts. The big issue was receive. On leg of my K9AY
loop was 6' from the elevated radial. I had to beef up the termination
resistors in the loop and detune the inverted L on receive. Currently in Oak
Ridge, TN I have an 1/8 wavelength vertical in the middle of an 85' oak tree
and an 1/8 wavelength elevated radial. This is stuffed on a 1/5 acre lot.
actually I am making this antenna dual band ... 80/160 ... and I am very
pleased with the results so far. With 100 watts I have worked Europe and into
the pacific on 160. I built this antenna just a few month ago. still tinkering
with it to get it farther away from the trunk (about 10' now).

Both of the above antennas were isolated from ground and fed through a ferrite
choke balun. There were just enough losses that the feed point impedance was 50
ohms.

The inverted L that gave me the best results was suspended between two large
oak trees and I had four 81' elevated radials up about 20'. The radials were
tuned and the impedance was about 25 ohms. A hair pin match fixed that. I did
have access to an acre of land to put that one up. This is straight out of the
ON4UN book.

There are models and debates (all I have studied and read) as to how to manage
wires in trees and I will suggest to try it. An antenna analyzer will be your
best friend. Enjoy!

73, Mike WA5POK

    On Sunday, September 23, 2018 1:40 AM, Edward via Topband