Re: Topband: In L in Tree

To: Jose N4IS <n4is@n4is.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: In L in Tree
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 19:57:18 -0500
Jose (et al), I respectfully and strongly disagree that this QST article
applies to 160m to the degree described in that PDF (which does not even
mention 160 meters!). I DO agree with the findings in that PDF *for those
higher bands*.

However, I do agree that it's probably a bad idea to have the vertical
portion of an inverted-L stapled to a tree trunk. :-)

The effects of nearby trees or woods and their attenuation at 160m have
been discussed to a great length here in the past by many Topbanders far
more experienced than I am. Before anyone takes exception to what I am
saying, please do a search in the Topband Reflector Archive for "trees",
"woods", etc.

My inverted-L (http://www.w0btu.com/160_meters.html) was in a dense woods
of oak trees, and anecdotally I can say that it worked very well indeed,
thank you very much!

And it'll be back up before winter. :-)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com