Re: Topband: Mixed RF grounds

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Mixed RF grounds
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 20:12:26 -0400
Hi Mike,

For elevated 1/4 wave radials to work well, they need to be carrying the
same RF current away from the common center point. This is to produce near
net zero RF fields at the ground. 1/8 wave elevated radials with an
isolation transformer per k2av.com will do better than the same number and
orientation of elevated 1/4 wave radials. All that the 1/4 wave radials
provide is resonance, but at a cost of increased ground loss vs. 1/8 wave.

The way to model these kinds of things in EZNEC is to do a near field table
100 meters by 100 meters square centered below the vertical wire. Set the
interval to 1 meter for 10,000 readings. Save the table to file and import
it to Excel. In Excel, square the field readings and add them up. Watt loss
in the ground will be proportional to the sum of the field value squares.
On k2av.com click the index button "The FCP Story". This is a PDF of the
original NCJ article on the FCP. At the top of page 22, there is a graphic
showing this arithmetic already done for the sum of field strength squared.
Study that before reading on here.

The additional loss for the 1/4 wave radials is simply the length, **in
feet or meters, not wavelength**. If you had to make your radials out of
nichrome wire, that extra loss would proportional to the length of the
radials in feet/meters, not wavelength. Because of the great length of a
1/4 wavelength on 160, top band is the most sensitive to these issues.

The break even point FCP vs. 1/4 length radials is *four* straight at 90
degree angles without any close local materials to make current unequal in
the radials. **IF** the radials' orientation, shape, length, etc are
"miscellaneous", the FCP will beat it. The literal difference in watts will
depend on the TX power, and particularly on the type and quality of ground
underneath. You can do ridiculously poor top band engineering over certain
highly conductive Midwest USA soils, but here in poor soil NC, or in
urban/suburban extremely poor "soils", that poor engineering will cost you
dearly in ground losses.

To compare these solutions, know what stations on the air in the same metro
area have what for antennas and run what power. In a contest, listen to
them yourself or put them up on an RBN spot analysis to various parts of
the country.

73 and hope to see all of you in the Pre-Stew tomorrow night.
Guy K2AV