Topband: VE1ZZ SK

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: VE1ZZ SK
From: Yuri Blanarovich <k3bu@optimum.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 11:13:26 -0400 (EDT)
Sorry to hear about Jack's QSY to radio heaven.

I had privilege to visit him few times and tried to shake few low band records, one is still there as VA1A on 80m CQ WPX CW for NA. It was like driving into Eu 160 radio tunnel. Getting smacked by hearing piles of Europeans starting around 3 pm, waiting for them to respond for 2 hours.

Jack was the icon/beacon on Top band, from days when the band was muddy, very few bothered to mess with that noisy band, needing big stuff antennas. He found his hill QTH by the ocean, on the edge of NS, next door to Eu, made Head of Jeddore known to the radio world.

Jack scrounged, scavenged parts, towers, cables, ropes (yes, even coke bottles) to populate the hill with antennas that had all terrain tires (base/insulators). Modest rig in the shack and the home brewed "vertical" PA. His life was 160, up during the nights for openings, handing out points and multiplier in contests. He enjoyed being "first" and happy to nail the new one for his DXCC.

He was my first NA when I was OK3BU, thrilled to get him with 10W and piece of wire. I never dreamed that one day I would visit him, operate from his station, or be "home" for my VE1BY call. I enjoyed every moment being with Jack, there is a special bond between the serious topbanders, it is like finding the long lost brother, sometime no words are needed. Jack had understanding and support from his wife Opel.

Oh well, we are getting old, inevitable is around the corner. Looking back, we lived during the exciting period of radio, gave us fun, expanded horizons, foundation for carriers, knowing some special people. I thought when I retire, I would do some writing, do photo/video and play with radios. Wanted to write about record chasing operations from VE1ZZ, W8LRL. TF4M and others, but life keeps us busy with family and business "stuff".  Now that contesting and hamming is "advanced" to the stage, when you do not need station (rentastations), you do not need operator (Internet will serve you), or you don't even need to hear the station (FT8), I can retire from old fashion contesting and do the neglected. Go through the boxes of photo/video material and sketch some good old days of radio contesting.

RIP Jack!  Say Hello to W1BB!

Yuri, K3BU.us, VE1VY, VE3BMV

Good idea, to rename preStew to "Jack"