Topband: Accuracy of modeling of 160m verticals

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Accuracy of modeling of 160m verticals
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 09:51:25 -0000

Exactly!  How can you know what your ground is REALLY like, especially when
you go underground? (and even if you knew, how could you model it?)

I'm really not interested in trying to get an accurate model.  It's just
that I have ALWAYS used a horizontal Dipole at just 50ft for working DX on
Top Band.  Yet I've always done pretty well - most people on here tell me my
signal is comparable with most of the other EU signals, who all use decent
verticals.

Now I'm pretty sure that most 160m DX propagation ISN'T as low angle as most
people think (like it usually is on 80m) . . . but equally I believe that my
Dipoles simply CAN'T be the "cloud warmers" that the theoretical plots from
EZNEC etc predict!

About 20 Years ago I actually did a load tests on SSB with a good friend of
mine who had a full sized vertical and 50 radials (this was over a period of
months) . . . we made sure we were running the same power, and each night we
did this, we got critical comparison reports from dozens of stations right
across North America . . over 80% said we were the same strength!

Roger G3YRO