Topband: Poor conditions in 2018 so far for working VK6 to NA long path

To: "Topband reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Poor conditions in 2018 so far for working VK6 to NA long path
From: "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 09:32:36 +0800
G'day

With the exception of last Sunday I've been on 160m for east coast NA sunset
from 7/11/18 until 12/11/18 to try to give out some ‘long path’ contacts with
USA/VE.

Although there has been some spotlight propagation into Europe (today was
Southern Europe/North Africa and S01WS for a new country) the LP into North
America has seemed to be non-existent
so far.

2017 and 2016 were definitely better, with my recollection of LP openings
present on several mornings during this period.

My reference point is if I can hear or work Jeff VY2ZM, then I know there is a
chance of working into NA further south.  Every morning I regularly check
Jeff's transmitting frequency - and during the aforementioned period I
haven't heard Jeff once!

Since Jeff started his station on PEI, we have worked on 160m many times - and
on SSB at least once - and usually I can hear him virtually daily at this time
of the year.  This year is definitely the worse I can recall since
I first came on 160m from VK6 back in 1995.

I guess the take-away message is 2018 is a very bad year but east coastal NA
stations don't give up hope that a LP QSO is possible (but perhaps not this
season).

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ

---