Re: Topband: Impedance of inv l?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Impedance of inv l?
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 10:16:26 -0700
To the first order, the feedpoint Z (at resonance) will depend on the height of the vertical portion, which affects the radiation resistance. and the resistive loss of the ground connection which appears in series with it.  A full height (1/4 wavelength) vertical over perfect (zero ohm) ground will be about 35 ohm.  A shortened vertical, toploaded (the "L" portion) will be lower than this, again over perfect ground. Sixty ohm seems way too high and since you have a respectable, but not outstanding radial system, suggests to me measurement error. How are you measuring this?

My inverted L, 55 feet vertical, the rest horizontal measures ~24 ohm at resonance, with a very marginal (work in progress) radial field of twenty, 55' long insulated radials on the ground.  I've used three different instruments, all vector analyzers, to confirm this.  (DG8SQQ, FA-VA5 and AA-55)   I have a 50KW BC station on 1550 kHz that measures -3 dBm on this antenna.  Only a vector analyzer, used with care, will handle this.

Wes  N7WS