Re: Topband: 160m Antenna, worse than I thought !

To: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m Antenna, worse than I thought !
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 16:16:27 -0500
Hi Mike,

You certainly are not the first to experience an antenna "grounding" that
makes unbelievable the contacts actually made with it. BTDT for sure

Another thing is our common predilection for thinking that SWR means
anything other than when it has a large change, something has happened. But
surely SWR does not show every large change in antenna condition nor does
SWR predict performance. We should really get over that procedural urban
myth.

Just remember that a dummy load has a perfect SWR and, at 99.9% power loss
to heat, is a worse antenna than a light bulb.

73, and may we all somehow remember all our hard-earned lessons,

73, Guy K2AV