Re: Topband: Recommended Relays

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Recommended Relays
From: <k3ky@radioprism.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 01:53:53 -0700
Hi, All-

 Looking back at some of the better construction articles I've
saved in recent years, this one stands out:

"The StationPro Master Station Controller" by W8ZR in QST,
August 2010, page 30-34. He likes to do things up nice, and
it sure shows in the finished product. It looks professional.

In particular, his idea for the switching relays is top notch
IMO. He chose Tyco/Schrack RTB14012F PCB mount types. They are
compact, high current carry, low inductance (and how!), and
also cheap. I have seen them on Mouser's site, seem to always
be in stock. Maybe 3 to 4 dollars each by now. Certainly a
useful relay design up through 6 meters, it appears.

He says: "...easily handles the amateur legal power limit"
(1500W) "...has excellent RF properties..." "In more than
20,000 hours of 24 x 7 operation with the four StationPro's
in the author's station, there has not been a single relay
failure."

If you look at the PC baord he designed, you may agree with
me- it's pretty much a masterpiece. He kept lead lengths to a
minimum in these units.

Especially considering the low price, I think these relays
are going to be very hard to beat!

73, David K3KY
Derwood, MD