Re: Topband: Waller Flag

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Waller Flag
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 14:05:53 -0600
Thanks, Rick.  I think you are fortunate to have a low noise level where
you could actually use your TX Antenna.

My situation is that if I tried to listen on my transmit antenna I would
only work the very strongest of signals.  Typically the noise moves the
meter to about 20-25 over S9 if I listen on my vertical.  The best success
I have had is with a Beverage, but whether on any given trip I can put one
up largely depends on whether any of the four or five people's property I
would cross are there and whether they would allow it or complain about
it.  On my own property, the only thing I have done is put up a little
triangle with the top at about 20 feet and the bottom wire in the
neighborhood of 30-35 feet.  That antenna has about -37 dB of gain.  A 15
dB preamp plus the preamp in the transceiver makes it an OK antenna - good
enough that I have worked about 250 JA stations none of which would have
been worked if I were listening on my vertical.  And I am guessing that if
I had a 3 dB improvement in S/N ratio that I would have worked 400 in the
same time period.  That antenna has an RDF of 7.7.  Always wanting
something better and if I could put up something I could rotate with an RDF
of 11 or so, I would hope to be content.

Stan

Stan