Re: Topband: 160 Antenna

To: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Antenna
From: kolson@rcn.com
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 11:05:15 -0500 (EST)
Traditionally, the 80 meter dipole example you sited was the typical
improvisation guys used to get on 160. How well it worked depended on how long
and vertical the feedline was and a lot of luck, basically how close to a "T"
top loaded vertical fed against ground it ended up being . But a little
intention could make it work much better.

When I put up my first antenna at this QTH (a 92 ft dipole fed with 42ft  of
open wire line aka ZS6BKW antenna), I put a switch box at the base that shorted
the bottom of the feedline and fed it to a matching network to make it an
actual "T" on 160 and put down about 30 random length radials at ground level.
It has worked pretty well for what it is.

In your situation, you don't really have anything approximating the traditional
 "T" .  So applying intention to your case , since you already have a vertical
with radials, I would say that the easiest good solution would be to put a
your 40 meter vertical and tap it for resonance. You cou ld just physically
switch it in and out to change bands, but ultima tely you will  probably want
to work out a way to use relays to remote switch the taps, with no inductor in
series on 40 meters and progressively more on o ther bands (you cou ld add 60
and 80 meters in addition to 160 if you wanted). You would ne ed to either run
a control cable or build an arrangement to inject the switching voltage on your
existing coax. What you would end up with is a base fed vertical, basically a
version of the Butternut vertical system which works reasonably well on 160.
You may want to add a few longer radials to help further on 160.

The low wire would probably be a very poor antenna on 160.

73, K3OX