Re: Topband: capacity needed for Detuning tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: capacity needed for Detuning tower
From: <n4is@n4is.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 09:12:25 -0500
Terry

My tower  is 116 high , plus 10 ft of mast with a top hat, and the HWF. I
never had any  problem on 80m because the antenna is too long and near 1/2
wave vertical for 80m, my Vertical WF is 60 ft from the tower and I never
noticed any degradation on the irradiation diagram measured with polar plot.

My friend Peter N8PR used to have the K8UR  four square for 80.. It worked
very well on 80m, however the dipole side connected to the coaxial braid,
connected to the phase box than connected to another  coaxial and the other
dipole connected to the braid, all this connected forms a 1/2 wave on 160m.
Peter antenna on 160m is very similar to my but his signal was always 10 db
lower than my  on 160m, the 1/2 wave formed by the 80m dipoles was changing
the irradiation patter on 160m, simulating on EZNEC we found that the signal
was going up and not low angle as it should be on 160m. Peter disconnected
the 80 dipoles from the phasing box and immediately his 160m signal become
very similar to my signal on all RBNs that we were able to check.

Saying that,  John K9UWA detuned his tower and his 4  square improved a lot.
The way to find the capacitor value is  using a small variable capacitor in
series with a MFJ 259, adjust the capacitor for zero ohms reactance on the
MFJ meter.

Luis IV3PRK has on his site a detailed description how to detune the tower
using antenna analyzers, here

http://www.iv3prk.it/detuning-tx-ant..htm

http://www.iv3prk.it/user/image/site2-rxant.prk_detuning-tower.pdf

73's