Re: Topband: launching lines over trees

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: launching lines over trees
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 18:54:54 -0800
I have tried most means for "line over branch" - slingshots with spinning reels, bow and arrow, arborist swing toss weights (that is a skill I don't have), fishing pole with sinker, tree climber, boom lifts, and finally the CSV19. Easily launches to 135'. The last is by far the winner. After using mine at FD, my club bought one which gets loaned out for regular use. Advocates of other means were instantly converted. The bow fishing line spool is a great accessory for the CSV and polyethylene braided line even at 50# strength is tiny. Posted B4, the Ryobi $20 18v hand compressor is terrific in the field, just don't exceed the max reservoir pressure. The doggie tennis balls with the heavy cover and the recommended inserted pennies for weight come down thru big cedars, spruce, and hemlocks pretty easily. My second line is usually paracord then it pulls up the line with the pulley that has the antenna support line threaded. I'm happy when the tree grows around the pulley line - no chafe. I always have a paracord pull down on the antenna line at the insulator so when (not if) the antenna wire breaks I can retrieve the line's end. Always use Synthetic Textiles rope which seems to last forever.

Grant KZ1W